This trip is actually a year old. Last year, when I went to NYC to receive the Young Scientist Award from Center for Cancer Systems Biology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, I stayed at my cousin’s place in Long Island. In addition to attending the conference and spending time with the family, I made sure that I practice how to get lost in NYC. However, it is not a good idea to get lost a lot, if you want to cover a lot of neighborhoods in one single day. Hence, this itinerary was made from careful planning and research.
1. At 7 AM, Leave for Rockville center station, take Babylon towards Penn station at 7:27 AM. Reach Penn station at 8:15 AM.
2. Walk to 34th St. – Herald sq. Station. Look for Horace Greeley’s statue. Take R towards Bay ridge or N towards Coney Island to 23rdst. station. Flat iron building. Walk to Madison Square Park.
3. Walk to Museum of sex
at 233 5th
ave at E 27th
st. The museum opens at 10 AM.
4. At 12 PM, walk to 28thst station. Take R towards Bay Ridge to 8th st – NYU station or 6 towards Brooklyn bridge-city hall to Astor – PI station. Walk to the Trash clothing store at 4thst Marks PI.
5. At 1 PM, look for food trucks nearby in YELP.
6. Walk to Sclupture Alamo (The cube
) at 57 Astor PI.
7. Walk to Union square-14thst. George Washington and Abraham Lincoln statue in Union square park. Look for Metronome and Passage time.
8. At 2:30 PM, from 14 st – union sq station, take 4 towards Crown hits – Utica av or 5 towards bowling green to Bowling green station. Walk to Charging bull statue at 1 Bowling Green.
9. At 3:15 PM, walk to South Ferry station; take 1 towards Van Cortlandt Park to 116 st – Columbia University station. Walk to Riverside Church
at 490 Riverside Dr.
10. At 5 PM, walk to 116st – Columbia University station, take 1 towards South Ferry to 59 st – Columbus circle; Eat from food trucks.
11. At 5:45 PM, walk to 59 st – Columbus circle station, take A towards Ozone park – Lefferts Blvd or C towards Euclid av, High st station. Walk to Brooklyn Bridge Park
: Pier 1 at Old Fulton st.
12. At 7 PM, from High st station, take A towards Inwood – 207 St, or C towards 168 st, to 34th st – Penn Station. Walk to Eagle bar or Six Lounge for a drink or two.
13. Walk back to Penn station. Take Babylon towards Balylon to Rockville center.
You can imagine, by the end of the day, how tired yet fulfilled I was!